Coronavirus (Covid-19) has been declared as a global pandemic by the World Health Organization. Researchers are still in the process to know more and more about this virus and its consequences on humanity. For that, it’s mandatory to follow the basic hygiene standards like washing your hands frequently especially when you are exposed to the outer environment, using an alcohol-based sanitizer, wearing a face mask to protect your mouth and nose from entering any particles causing the virus, and avoid touching your mouth, nose, and eyes.
Covid-19 has been observed to have not much damage in individuals with no underlying illnesses like diabetes, hypertension, heart diseases, or any respiratory disorders. Younger individuals with better immunity are also most likely to not develop any complications followed by this virus. So, is not having any appropriate or tested medical aid or vaccine against this virus yet, the only way to combat it is by having a robust immunity. The following facts can help develop much better immunity.
Improve your diet
Diet plays the most vital role when it comes to immunity boosting.
- Eat low carb diets as they help maintain your sugar levels and blood pressure.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables as they contain nutrients that help you fight against infections.
- Try to eat raw vegetables and fruits for the maximum absorption of vitamins and nutrients.
- Consume more legumes (lentils and beans) nuts and whole grains.
- Foods from animal sources like meat, eggs, fish, and milk are also a great choice for immunity boosting.
- Tomato, bell pepper, green vegetables, apples, mushrooms, and foods rich in vitamin C are essential for immunity.
- Probiotics like yogurt is also an excellent source to build immunity.
- Some natural herbs like garlic, ginger, basil leaves, moringa leaves, olive leaves help in this regard too.
- Avoid tinned and processed food and rely on freshly homemade food.
- Limit your intake of salt and sugar and avoid foods containing higher ratios of them.
Keep yourself hydrated
Water is essential for human life. You need to drink 8-10 glasses of water every day. It acts as a transport system to supply the essential nutrients to your blood, regulates your body temperature, and helps the body get rid of toxins that may accumulate in the body affecting the basic body functions. Other than water, fresh juices are also a good alternative but avoid adding extra sugars or salt to them.
Have a good sleep
Experts suggest a good sleep of at least 7-8 hours as the best way to build immunity. Don’t compromise on your sleep because lesser sleep leads to the feeling of tiredness and hence adversely affects the overall body functions and your physical performance.
A healthy diet followed by exercise is the best match for good health and strong immunity. Exercise makes you feel fresh, helps the body perform its basic functions better and releases toxins from your body. It’s recommended to exercise for about 30-45 minutes depending upon your stamina. There are many YouTube channels and videos that help you exercise at home easily. Exercise makes your metabolism better which has a direct relation with immunity.
Although the quarantine and lockdown times may be stressful at times this stress will do no good in combating the virus. Too much stress releases a hormone that makes your body susceptible to infections. The best way to get rid of stress is through meditation which includes activities to calm down nerves. Different YouTube channels may help you in this regard.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, or other addictive substances as they weaken your body defense against viruses by damaging your lungs and respiratory system. If you are dependent on any of them, then be moderate and avoid excessive use.
- Don’t do unnecessary traveling as it is considered the major reason for spreading the virus in almost the whole world and declaring it a global pandemic. Don’t get yourself exposed to public places and if needed, then make sure to wear a face mask and sanitize your hands after each exposure.
Immunity boosting nutrients
Along with the above-mentioned points, some nutrients will give you an instant boost in immunity.
- Vitamin C: is a crucial vitamin when we talk about combating infections. In the early researches, pneumonia was associated with the deficiency of vitamin C but later it was found that vitamin C had effects on diverse infections and it was considered a key vitamin in fighting infections caused by bacteria, viruses, and protozoa.
- Vitamin D: vitamin D deficiency leads to higher risk and greater severity of infections particularly of the respiratory tract and is necessary for the proper functioning of the immune system as the first line of defense against infections.
- Zinc: is a vital component of blood that fights against infections and its deficiency makes the body more vulnerable to flu, cold, and other viral infections.
I hope the given facts may be quite helpful in boosting your immunity. It is the need of the hour to be strong nerved and united in this fight against Covid and limit ourselves from getting exposed to it as much as we can.